Sex dating in galashiels selkirkshire
The plans were revised in January 1867 to add an extra storey to the infirmary, adding £430 to the price. Two nurses were on duty at night-time, and pauper assistance was confined to activities such as cleaning and bed-making. In 1909-11 an additional infirmary block was added at the north of the site for up to 150 aged, infirm and convalescent patients. All the inmates were transferred to other workhouses in the area, and the infirmary patients moved to Grovelands School nearby. The cross-shaped main building contained an administrative block, wards and cells, together with a labour yard and labour master's house. The hospital finally closed in 2005 and the buildings have been demolished except for the gatehouse and board-room.The total cost, including furniture and fittings, was in the region of £14,000. In addition, a new board room, administrative block and master's house were added. Within six weeks, the workhouse was transformed into the Reading Number One War Hospital which, linked together with more than twenty other auxiliary hospitals in Berkshire, constituted one of the country's biggest war hospitals. In 1849, the Reading Union joined with the neighbouring Wokingham Union to form the Reading & Wokingham School District and operated a residential school for pauper children at Gargrave until the early 1900s.In 1628, the first intake of 24 weavers, 16 shearmen, and six burlers took up employment at the workhouse.
In 1639, the workhouse was reorganised to provide training and employment for fatherless children. Twelve persons belonging to this parish are in different almshouses, and receive from 7d. It is not uncommon for a healthy young fellow, who has ample means of supporting himself and family, to request the parish to pay for the midwife for his first child.Paupers had their weekly allowances doled out, in the overseer's office (also in that quarter of the town) on Sunday afternoons. The annual disbursements for the Poor, which were £369 odd in 1764, rose gradually till they reached £1,066 in 1780, and were £1,751 in 1795, which included £100 for a new bridge, and several small sums not immediately applicable to the Poor. This occupation continued for the next half a century.Subsequent to this, paupers were accommodated at Castle Park. for the week 3rd April are paid to a number of casual Poor, mostly for children, but the average for the previous ten weeks was £5 12s. The weekly pensions to regular Out-Poor amounted to £6 2s. The weekly charge for bastards out of the house was 17s. At a charity school 50 boys and 30 girls are clothed and educated, and there is a free grammar school for children of every description. In 1803, a code of rules relating to the workhouse was drawn up for the guidance of the churchwardens and overseers.[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] In December 1624, Reading received a bequest of £8,400 in the will of wealthy London draper John Kendrick.The money was designated for several causes but the bulk, £7,500, was to establish a workhouse.